The Hotel Conneaut at Exposition Park
The Hotel Conneaut at Exposition Park

In 1893 Businessmen of the Exposition Park Co. built a new resort hotel on a lake front parcel of property on the southern end of what was then known as Exposition Park. As the new resort began to grow and prosper, so did the need for higher end accommodations. In 1902, construction began on the rebuilding of the Exposition Hotel into the new Hotel Conneaut. While most of the original hotel was demolished, one wing was retained and reused in the new hotel, and still stands to this day.

Originally, Hotel Conneaut boasted 150 guest rooms. Room rates were $1.00 per day and meals were only $.35. Early promotional materials for the new hotel read as follows:

Room with view of Conneaut Lake
Rooms with a Lake View

"This modern hostelry is most beautifully situated on the western shore of Conneaut Lake, in Exposition Park, midst a luxurious grove of tall shade trees stretching to the water's edge. The spacious veranda extends the entire length of the hotel, overlooking the lake. The interior of the hotel is well furnished throughout, everything being designed for health and comfort." In 1925, the hotel was expanded to include 150 more guest rooms and a new Crystal Ballroom and apartments.

On April 29th 1943 the hotel was struck by lightening and the resulting fire destroyed more than half the roof. Unable to obtain permission ro replace the damaged roof due to World War II, the damaged section was demolished resulting in a remodeled hotel of 150 rooms.

Today the hotel Conneaut is the only hotel in operation on Conneaut Lake and the last surviving of over a dozen hotels that once stood in Conneaut Lake Park. In 2003 Hotel Conneaut celebrated a century of hospitality.

What has not changed in 100 years is Hotel Conneaut's timeless charm and draw to those seeking escapism from this ever-changing, fast paced world. Hotel Conneaut is a solid link to the past.

The Hotel Conneaut at Exposition Park
The Hotel Conneaut Today